The governing body of St Mary’s is accountable for the school’s overall performance – though the school is run on a day to day basis by the head teacher. We work closely with the head teacher to set the overall direction and aims of the school and to monitor our progress. We act as a ‘critical friend’ to the school offering a balance of support and challenge. Our responsibilities include appointing the Head and other senior staff, overseeing the school’s finances, making sure the curriculum is balanced and broadly based and setting targets for pupil achievement.
Our legal duties include:-
- setting strategic direction, policies and objectives
- approving the school budget
- reviewing progress against the school's budget and objectives
- appointing, challenging and supporting the headteacher
The Governing Body meets at least once every (new) term. We sometimes set up committees or working groups to look at particular issues (such as pay, performance management, buildings development). A small group (Headteacher, Governor responsible for Finance and the School Finance Officer) meet every half term to keep an eye on school finances between our termly governor meetings. All governors are informed about what happens at these monthly finance meetings.
There are several categories of governor, appointed by different groups that have an interest in the school. These are Foundation governors, the Local Authority (“LA”), Parents, and Staff. All governors have equal status, however they are appointed.
We are committed to providing an excellent environment for all pupils to enjoy during their time at our school.
From this year new guidelines have been introduced to make the governing body a more transparent organisation for parents, the community and parish.
ST MARYS RC PRIMARY SCHOOL GOVERNING BODY
Mr M Suddaby
03 October 2016- 02 October 2020
Vice chair person
Mrs Margaret Hyde
01 September 2014- 31 August 2018
Mr Olabode Olushuyi
09 June 2016-08 June 2020
Mrs Diane Lyons
22 October 2015- 21 October 2019
Mrs Christine Marie Lord
01 September 2014-31 August 2018
Mr Colin Maher
01 September 2014- 31 August 2018
Mrs Joanne T. Murphy
01 September 2014 - 31 August 2018
Canon Timothy F. Mullins
01 September 2000
Ms Alex Connolly
09 September 2015 - 08 September 2019
Mr John Thomson - Roberts
09 September 2015- 08 September 2019
Mr Ben Lavin
Staff (HT)- 01 September 2014
Mrs Anne Endlar
Mrs Sandra Hartley
School Improvement Officer
Publication of Governor’s Details and the Register of Interests
Governors hold an important public office and their identity should be known to their school and wider communities. In the interests of transparency, a governing body should publish on its website up-to-date details of its governance arrangements in a readily accessible form. This should include:
• the structure and remit of the governing body and any committees, and the full names of the chair of each;
• for each governor who has served at any point over the past 12 months:
• their full names, date of appointment, term of office, date they stepped down (where applicable), who appointed them (in accordance with the governing body’s instrument of government),
• relevant business and pecuniary interests (as recorded in the register of interests) including:
• governance roles in other educational institutions;
• any material interests arising from relationships between governors or relationships between governors and school staff (including spouses, partners and close relatives); and
• their attendance record at governing body and committee meetings over the last academic year.
Our Governing Body meetings are held in the evening. We attend training sessions and seminars to help us keep up to date with changes in schools and education and to help us do our job effectively. We also go into school to meet with the Headteacher, other members of staff and pupils to help us find out how the school is progressing towards its target
Governors are now - through a coordinated approach- expected to fill in a skills audit yearly.This is completed so we see which skills our governors possess that can make our school even better and more accountable.
Also governors from St Marys will now evauate effectiveness and impact of CPD.
Please see the link below to our new action plan
We have developed this year a new governor visitor policy also.