St. Mary's is proud to be a Roman Catholic Voluntary Aided Primary School. The school is particularly proud of the following awards and partnerships:
- School Games Gold Award (3 Years Running)
- Basic Skills Award
- Partners with Cardinal Langley Sports College 2006 onwards.
- Leading Aspect Award as part of Rochdale Head Teacher Catholic Network
- Gold Arts Mark
- Extended Healthy Schools Award
- Extended School Award
- Eco silver school
- PE lead school
- Federated partner of RCSF
The langley estate is in a challenging area with high levels of deprivation. (See RAISEonline information).However our school and commuity rise above this distinction.We are a school who care about every child, parent, teacher governor and parsihoner the same.
The Sacramental Programme, which is a combination of school/parish/home, involves contact between all concerned with the spiritual development of the children. There are meetings and celebrations throughout the year. Parents receive home visits from Fr. Mullins, Parish Priest and Chair of Governors. All these actions ensure that no parent or family is 'overlooked' and that the school is a focal point within the parish and local community.
St. Mary's works with many providers and agencies. The Head Teacher and Deputy Head Teacher actively seek to improve standards and experiences of pupils through the use of freelance specialists, specialist organisations and through collaborations with schools locally or through the Rochdale Catholic Head Teacher Network and through the Rochdale Catholic Federation. These include the Manchester Education Arts Initiative, Artists in Schools, Rochdale College, Bury AFC, Manchester United FC, Manchester City FC, Rochdale RLFC, Middleton Cricket Club, LEAF, Children's Forum, visiting poets and writers, Cardinal Langley High School, schools in the area as well as local organisations such as the Langley Dance Group, Sure Start, MAFWACA and the Middleton Langley Drama Workshop.
A message from Mr Lavin
Dear Parents and Carers,
St. Mary’s R.C. Primary and Nursery School is a large primary school in Langley in Middleton. We value all children and all children are welcomed at our school.
We see our school as part of a vibrant local community and also hope that your family will quickly feel part of our school community, which we view as a team working together to provide the very best we can for the children in our care.
In our school our goal is to help children recognise, value and celebrate their individual skills and talents and to help them to develop them to their full potential. In doing this, children will also have to learn how to deal with the things they find challenging and learn how to manage these challenges. An understanding - and hopefully a love – of learning is becoming an essential skill in our rapidly evolving 21st century world and we want to give children a life-long love of learning. Giving children the tools to drive and organise their own learning is the key to growing and thriving in life.
Our aim is for St Marys RC Primary to provide the context where our young learners can grow; the primary school of choice for local parents and a school that children would want to be a part of; where children:
- feel valued, secure and able to express their ideas and opinions
- are motivated to learn in a well-resourced, stimulating environment
- have access to the highest quality teaching and learning from skilled, enthusiastic, caring staff
- are the focus for every opportunity to be exploited so that academic, spiritual, moral, physical, social and cultural development will be maximised
- are supported through a strong set of Catholic values which will underpin all our their development
- have staff, governors and parents who work as a team to inspire and assist all pupils towards their goals;
- thrive through a global commitment to the fulfilment of potential in an atmosphere of love, respect, trust and high expectation.
We are proud of our school and hope you will come and join us to see why.